Sunday, March 4, 2012

We're Even Eating Polka Dots

And the cake saga continues. When we last left off, the Unicycles had angrily feasted on cake at a local Starbucks while arguing about the difference between "combination" cake and marble. We decided to get white cake with raspberry bavarian filling and buttercream frosting. But I never discussed the most important part--how the cake would look.

I mentioned before that I was inspired by Mrs. Star's polka dot accented wedding years before Mr. Unicycle ever put a ring on it. I credit Mrs. Star with my wedding's polka dot theme, especially my cake design. The photos we're sending to the bakery are the same ones she shared on the blog almost 3 years ago, which I've had saved to my hard drive the whole time (this was pre-pinterest, people). I'm glad my taste in cake design hasn't changed in the past few years! Here are the 2 cakes Mrs. Star posted about:



I did a little more research to make sure this is what I wanted. At first I thought I might want one of those trendy ruffly cakes going around the internet instead:



Image via Snippet and Ink / Photo by Adrienne Page
 





But Mr. Unicycle wasn't a fan of the ruffles. (I don't know why I always think he'll be a fan of shiz like this.) Plus I was afraid it would end up looking like this, which seems to be our bakery's take on ruffles:


I also saved these cake pictures because I thought they were cool and modern looking:



Maybe I just like everything Martha does. Except her tutorial writing of course. Mr Unicycle happened to like the polka dot cakes best, and they did go with our "theme," unlike the others. I briefly searched for more polka dot cakes and came across these:


Image via Sarah the Bear

Image via Polka Dot Bride / Cake and photo by Faye Cahill Cake Design

We liked the idea of going with traditional polka dots (again, like those featured in the original pics), so these were nixed as well. When I found this photo, I knew a gray and white polka dot cake would be perfect for us:

Image via Love the Day / Cake by One Sweet Slice

One thing we noticed about all of the cakes we liked was the shape. We really liked the cylindrical tiered look with flat tops (not curved like the original pictures). So we're going to ask for 3-4 gray and white polka dot tiers with flat tops. We'll also have the bakery tie yellow bows around each tier. And the cake toppers? Well, you'll just have to stay tuned...

Do you think we should do each tier the same, or should we come up with different designs for each? If so, what are your suggestions? And what is your dream wedding cake design?

No comments:

Post a Comment