Thursday, March 29, 2012

I Heart Straws

Mrs. Brooch posted about her adorable heart straws and mocktails a few weeks ago, and it reminded me that I haven't shown you my take on the heart straw idea that's swiffering the nation blogosphere. I probably forgot to show you because I made these so long ago. This was my second wedding craft of ALL TIME (right after the Will You Be My Bridesmaid Cards), which means I whipped these bad boyz up way back in May of 2011 and they've been chillin' in a box ever since.

Personal pic
Here they are!

Personal pic
And here they are chillin'

You might recognize these from our engagement pics, when I emasculated Mr. Unicycle by making him drink out of one of these. 

Here's Mrs. Brooch's rendition. 

I originally got this idea from Mrs. Brooch way back in April (she posted about it a mere 9 days after I got engaged) and I added it to my ridonk list of wedding DIYs. And Brooch got the idea from The Knotty Bride:

The above photos use felt, which seemed a bit time consuming to me. I wanted to make 144 straws (they came in packs of 144 for some reason) and didn't think I'd have time to cut each heart out by hand--that would be 288 G. D. hearts, people! Plus, I was tasked with reviewing a Cricut machine at work, so I was looking for a wedding project using paper so I could kill two birds with one stone. 

Personal pic

First I gathered my supplies: an enormous stack of yellow paper from Office Max (possibly Office Depot. I can't tell them apart), glue dots, the Cricut machine, and those ubiquitous stripey straws. Then I let the Cricut work its magic by cutting out all 288 hearts for me. Even this took a while, but all I did was sit there like the lazy person I am and watch it cut. Then I attached the hearts to the straws using the glue dots. This part took me maybe 15 minutes with the help of 2 bridesmaids. 

Personal pic
I can't wait to sip a real cocktail from these!

What do you think? If you were a wedding guest, would you use one of these straws?

No comments:

Post a Comment