Thursday, March 8, 2012

Make New Friends + Milwaukee Meet-up

As the old Girl Scout song goes, the secret to happiness is to make new friends while keeping the old. I showed you some old friends who will be standing up to my wedding as bridesmaids, and I've got other friends coming to the wedding as well, so I'm set on keeping the old. But how do you make new friends when you're someone's wife?
Image via someecards

It seems like married people have to only be friends with other married people. Why is that? I suppose single people don't want to listen to me drone on and on about our wedding registry or how Mr. Unicycle left the toilet seat up again (side note: I don't really find this behavior that annoying, but I pretend to be annoyed when my brother does it because people on TV are annoyed by it. What's annoying about leaving the toilet seat up? I want to be properly prepared to be adequately annoyed at Mr. Unicycle when we live together, so fill me in). And I also suppose single people don't want to share their dating triumphs and travails with an old married lady like I will soon be.

Image via Cheezburger.com

Plus, when you're an old married lady, you can't make friends in school (unless you're a married student), and without school, extracurricular activities disappear too. And people probably don't want to spend too much extra time with people they work with, because then you feel like you're at work even longer. I won't be living with my friends or seeing Mr. Unicycle's friends as regularly when it's just the two of us living on our own. When I move to Milwaukee, it'll basically be a blank slate for me. I have a few friends up there from undergrad, and I've made friends with some of Mr. Unicycle's med school friends, but how do I meet my own friends?

Personal pic
Don't you want to be my friend? :(

I don't really have a solution to this question, so maybe you ladies will enlighten me in the comments. And here's a sneaky segue-way: I'm organizing a Milwaukee meet-up for April 21 and YOU are invited! Maybe we'll make lifelong friendships at this meet-up and none of us will ever have to worry about that Girl Scout song again! You'll never know if you don't show up! We're getting brunch at Beans and Barley at noon that Saturday, so be there if you want to meet the fabulous Miss Unicycle! (I'm really very fabulous. You won't want to miss this.) And you can follow along with our discussion on the Wisconsin board!

Image via Beans and Barley

How do you make new friends as an adult? Do you find it hard to make friends or maintain friendships with unmarried people?

No comments:

Post a Comment