Wednesday, March 7, 2012

4 Yellow Dresses

I got a little ahead of myself posting about bridesmaid dress shopping without explaining my bridesmaid dress philosophy. I mean, my Bridesmaid Dress Philosophy. (Who the hell has a philosophy about bridesmaid dresses?) My philosophy was simple: I wouldn't force my friends to buy ridiculously expensive, boring dresses from chain bridal stores. I didn't want them spending an arm and a leg on a dress of my choosing because it felt wrong and bridezilla-ish. Plus, pretty much every dress being sold as a bridesmaid dress bored me to tears (just like wedding dresses did).

Image via Dessy
Not good

Image via Dessy
Boring

Image via Alfred Angelo
Snooze

Image via David's Bridal
Meh

I decided to set out to find the most fantabulous yellow dress of all time, for under $60, and all my bridemaids would wear it and look amazing. My first problem was not being able to find anything fantabulous. My second problem was not being able to find anything under $60. I was lucky to find anything under $100. My third problem was not being able to find anything in the right shade of yellow. Everything was either pastel yellow, goldenrod, or just not yellow at all. I wish I had chosen blue or red instead, because there are a ton of dresses in those colors.

In case you're wondering, this is my idea of fantabulous. But it's the wrong shade of yellow, and definitely the wrong price, at $520. 

So then I spent an embarrassing amount of time scouring the internet for yellow dresses. I tried pinterest, google shopping, google images, regular google, Weddingbee, Etsy, and every online retailer I could think of. I also searched the racks at local formal wear stores and department stores. I finally decided to just show my BMs what I'd found and let them either choose a dress from my searches or find one themselves. I was so sick of looking for yellow dresses (it had been about 5 months at this point) that I couldn't stand to think about it any longer. So yes, I became an even bigger bridezilla by forcing them to do all the work. And yes, I accidentally became one of those brides with a mismatched wedding party. As of last week, all 4 girls have purchased a dress! And here they are all in a row:

Image sources, from left to right: Shabby Apple, David's Bridal, ASOS, eShakti 
Except the DB one might not be right because I don't remember hers being shiny or having a bubble hem.

And the lovely ladies who will wear these dresses, respectively:

Personal pics

The first and fourth dresses are from my internet scouring, the second was from our trip to David's Bridal, and the third is from BM Artist's internet scouring. (She's the only BM to have a cool, Weddingbee-ified nickname, because I mentioned her previously for being the mastermind behind our Save the Date designs. I'll work on the others.)

What do you think of the dresses we chose? Are you a fan of the mismatched bridal party? And most importantly, what are your sources for non-bridesmaidy bridesmaid dresses?

No comments:

Post a Comment