Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tonight We Are Young. So Let's Sway Together

Sorry for the absence, blogosphere! I'm sure you missed me dearly. I've been busy! For the past few weeks I've spent 50% of my time crossing things off my wedding to do list and 50% freaking out about my wedding to do list. Oh, and 50% working. That's right, I'm so nutz that I have 150% of a life.

Personal pic
Don't worry, this isn't my "I've been driven to drink" face--I gave that up for Lent. No, this is my standard crazy-eyez face.

I've accumulated tons of stuff to blog about, but there's no time to blog!
Image via Awesomelols
My 2 fave things: Animals riding other animals, and squirrels!

But this post isn't about me begging for your forgiveness! It's about our Last Dance song (duh! Of course that's what I'm thinking about at T-87 days!). A song came on the radio the other day that I'm guessing you might have heard before. It's called "We Are Young" by Fun (a band that clearly didn't take search engines into consideration when they named themselves):


I immediately thought "this would be perfect for the last dance!" It's the kind of song where you get in a big circle, put your sweaty arms on each others' sweaty backs, and sway drunkenly like there's no tomorrow. And that's the kind of mood I want at the end of our reception. I want people to be drunkenly, sweatily living only for the moment, as if the group of people we've invited to our wedding are the only people who matter in the world. As if our wedding reception is the apogee of these people's friggin lives.


I sent the song to Mr. Unicycle to get his approval. He took his sweet time responding to me (possibly because he's in med school) and in the meantime, I fell in love with it after listening to it on repeat all day at work. (Side note: What's wrong with me that I can tolerate this?) Unfortunately, he DID. NOT. LIKE. He said, and I quote: "Did you pay any attention to the lyrics? It is kinda depressing, and is about people who seem to be in a terrible/abusive relationship whose friends are drug addicts."

Hmm, I admit I didn't pay any attention to the lyrics, other than

"So if by the time the bar closes
And you feel like falling down
I’ll carry you home
Tonight
We are young
So let’s set the world on fire
We can burn brighter than the sun." 

That sounds appropriate enough! But I think he was referring to

"My friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire State"

and

"...asking bout a scar, and
I know I gave it to you months ago
I know you’re trying to forget
But between the drinks and subtle things
The holes in my apologies..."

Suddenly I was incapable of finding a replacement song. This song had to be our last dance song. It's the only song I can imagine ending our wedding to. Depressing lyrics or no, this is the only song appropriate for sweaty, drunken, end-of-the-night swaying!

But, well, it's Mr. Unicycle's wedding too.
So here's where you come in--should I:
A) try to convince him to use this song
B) use a different song

Please suggest song alternatives and/or ways to convince him of this song's magical qualities in the comments! What song are you using for your last dance?

No comments:

Post a Comment