Friday, November 4, 2011

Saying "Gimme that Shiz" to the Dress


After my whirlwind trip to 4 bridal salons, I was still a little bit turned off to wedding dresses. Sure, I was glad that the samples were able to zip in the back, but I still hadn't found anything I actually liked, let alone something under budget. (Remember, my budget was only $500, which any respectable bridal consultant should laugh at.)

Way back in 2009, when I was shamefully trolling wedding blogs on the sly, I started following Mrs. Pretzel's dress search on weddingbee, which eventually led me to this picture:
At the risk of sounding completely cliche, I actually gasped when I saw this.

That was the very first (and, *spoiler alert*, last time I ever saw a wedding dress that I just had to have. I loved the silhouette and the fact that it had a poofy skirt without being ridiculous like the Vera Wang sort of was. I liked the clean lines with no bling or lace. I loved that it wasn't strapless, and I was obsessed with the retro-inspired design.

I had been tentatively toying with the idea of a tea-length wedding dress for a while because I found dresses like these:

Image via Dolly Couture

Image via Dolly Couture


Image via Fifties Wedding
I couldn't leave out Audrey's dress from Funny Face!

But I didn't really want a short dress. You're supposed to have a long dress on your wedding day, ya know? So when I found the Stephanie James dress, it was the best of both worlds! And now some more dress Pr0n for you.

All images via Stephanie James Couture




I saved this dress picture and occasionally gazed adoringly at it for the better part of a year and a half, and when Mr. Unicycle proposed, I went right back to it. I figured my dress search would be quick and easy, because I'd just buy this one. 

Cue record scratch sound. The dress was custom made and $2300. Bitch, please. I didn't even spend that on my last car.

Have you ever fallen in love at first sight with a dress or other inanimate object?

1 comment:

  1. Well pin a tail on me and call me a donkey, this post was great!

    ReplyDelete