Sunday, November 20, 2011

Color Scheming

I'm not sure I realized that weddings had color schemes before I discovered Weddingbee back in the day. My memories BWB (before Weddingbee) are a little hazy, but I'm pretty sure I just thought all weddings had a lot of white. Silly Unicycle.

When I first discovered all the beautiful inspiration boards on Weddingbee and other wedding blogs, I realized I needed to come up with a color scheme for my wedding, stat! Never mind that I was 20 years old and nowhere near engaged. First I decided on yellow and pink, because pink was my old favorite color and yellow was my new favorite color. I even had an accordion binder I used for school that was pink and yellow already. Perf.



So why'd I change my mind? Well, I was going to say that I realized this color scheme was too tacky, but after putting together this inspiration board, I realize it's actually quite lovely. And I want it. However, I don't want to force pink on Mr. Unicycle, so I moved on.

My next thought was to nix the pink and add black and white for some easy neutrals. I decided to add damask to the mix because it was having a moment at the time. It was kind of like 2009's version of chevron (yeah, feel free to mock me for agonizing over my color scheme 2 years before the proposal).

Mrs. Star's wedding convinced me to switch from damask to polka dots, since I had actually always liked polka dots, and I realized I only liked damask because it was trendy at the time. But theeeennnn I saw a polka dotted bumble bee child's birthday party on a blog and realized it looked exactly like my dream wedding...which looked like a bumble bee child's birthday party. And so black got the axe.


I'd seen a lot of yellow, white, and gray weddings around the blogosphere, and I really liked them, so I made the easy decision to replace black with gray. While it would have been infinitely easier to find black and white polka dot things than gray and white polka dot things, at least my wedding won't look like a kid's party. Though now that I'm a bee, maybe I should have left it!


How did you decide on your wedding colors/theme? Did I put too much thought into this?

No comments:

Post a Comment