Monday, November 28, 2011

4 Things I'm Glad Are in Style

In the Bees are Thankful post, I admitted to being thankful that tights are in style (among other things). I thank da lawd daily that tights are in style, because I like to wear dresses every day, whether it's cold or not. That got me thinking about other things I'm glad to hop on the bandwagon for. Jeans tucked into boots--sooo practical when it's wet out. Scarves--they keep me warm in the office on the daily.  Headbands--my bangs can't be trusted to behave very often. Sure, I could wear these things even if they weren't in style, but would I? Would I even think to wear a scarf indoors if hipsters hadn't proclaimed it cool? Probably not--you don't see me wearing snowpantz to work, no matter how cold my legs get under that desk.

 
Image via Style Me Pretty / Photo by Arrow and Apple
I want these tights! All of them! At the same time!

Then I realized there were a number of wedding related trends that are making my life easier as well. Paper flowers, for example. Okay, they might not be making my life easier per se, but making my own flowers will save me a bundle. And I don't have to worry too much about how weird it is to have paper flowers because, well, it's not that weird anymore. In fact, it's downright overdone in the wedding blogosphere.


I'm also excited at the ability to have mismatched bridesmaids. I don't really care either way if my bridesmaids match. I think matching 'maids look great, and mismatched 'maids look great too. I'm easy to please, really. But finding mismatched dresses is so much easier (for me) because all I said was "find a yellow dress" and suddenly all stress and agony is transferred over to the bridesmaids. Sucks to be you, bridesmaids. Especially since you probably really don't want to own a yellow dress.

Image via The Outnet
I hope someone picks this one.

Thank Kate Middleton that sleeves on wedding dresses are coming back in style. I really just don't look good in strapless dresses. It's not even about chubby arm syndrome, because I'd be happy in a dress with straps or even cap sleeves. I just need something up there to keep me from looking like I just wrapped a white towel around my bod post-shower, ya dig? Now that the Duchess brought them back into vogue, there are tons of options for be-sleeved wedding dresses. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

Image via CBS News
In case you forgot what it looked like.

The colored shoes trend is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because I never would have thought to wear bright pink shoes to my wedding. If I'd gotten married in the 90s I would have worn white shoes and liked it. But now there's an entire rainbow of possibilities open to my feet, and I'm prepared to hop on board. This trend is also a curse, though, because I'll be damned if I can find the correct, perfect, most beautiful pair of bright pink shoes. Every pair I look at is too high, too low, too light, too dark, etc. etc. I've found several pairs of white shoes I like, but I can't bring myself to buy them because they're not pink! So I guess this is more of a curse. Maybe colored shoes will go the way of mustaches on sticks.

Image via Wedding by Color
These are cute. But I don't know where to buy them.

What trends are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment