Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Bridezeela Transformation: 4 More Symptoms

If you haven't seen me since I got engaged, you probably won't recognize the monster I've become. Just kidding. Sort of. Wedding planning has changed me in a number of surprising ways, in addition to my sappiness. I didn't think being engaged would make much of a difference since I was already pretty wedding crazy before, but it turns out that making it all a reality instead of a hypothetical fantasy makes a big difference.
  1. In addition to crying like a friggin baby at heartfelt commercials and Kim Kardashian, I've also become oddly obsessed with being an adult, a grownup, a "real person." Red wine at dinner? Fill 'er up! 401K's? Tell me more! Cheesy Hallmark movies about idyllic families creating lasting memories? Can't get enough. Falling asleep at 10 pm? It happens to the best of us.

    Image via XKCD

  2. I joke a lot about how much I fear babies, and I love nothing more than pointing and laughing at ugly ones (poor taste? Whatever, that's what they get for pooping on everything). But now that I'm getting closer to being someone's wife, I don't mind the idea of also being someone's mom quite so much. Those cheesy Hallmark movies are getting to me. All I want is to create lasting memories with my well-behaved children! Is that too much to ask?

    Image via Martha Stewart
    How can you not laugh at this constipated face?
  3. I'm now an incredibly selfish person. When a friend tells me about her new haircut, I think "I still haven't booked a hairstylist for the wedding." When someone asks what I've been up to lately I think "Are you kidding me?? I've been wedding planning duh!" All I can think about is what needs to get done for the wedding, and all I can talk about is all the exciting things I've done for the wedding. I need to keep reminding myself that no one--literally no one--cares as much about my special day as I do, but it's a tough lesson to learn.
    Image via We Heart It
    Ouch. Reality check accepted.
  4. Because of the reign of terror that is my ruthless to-do timeline, which I've lamented several times already, I've reverted to my college habit of slaving over lists and checking off tasks I've done. My time is always blocked out ahead of time for pre-selected wedding tasks, so I'm unable to spontaneously go grab a latte or catch a movie. I. Must. Make. Tissue poms. Yes, stupid decorations for my reception, which is a good 7 months away, take precedence over everything else in my life because the dang timeline says it should. The timeline I wrote myself.

     How have you changed since getting engaged? Are they good changes or bad changes? Married peeps: Did tying the knot change you too?

No comments:

Post a Comment