Tuesday, November 22, 2011

These Shoes Have Soul (Dad Joke Alert)

Shoes are important. You literally can't leave the house without them. If I'm going to listen to Coco Chanel and take one accessory off before leaving the house, shoes can't be that one thing. Shoes make women feel sexy, even if they otherwise wouldn't. Shoes fit whether you eat that last cookie or not. Shoes help make me taller so I can reach that top shelf (alright fine--that middle shelf. I'll never quite reach the top). I wrote an entire short story in college examining the social constructs surrounding high heel-shod women, sexual repercussions, metaphors, isn't it ironic, mumbo jumbo BS etc. that seemed very deep and intellectually stimulating to my post-adolescent, idealistic brain. But no one rhapsodized about shoes better than Kelly.

When wedding planning was new and exciting, I pinned a bunch of shoe ideas that appealed to me, even though the pics I pinned were not actually shoes you could buy. Like these:

Image via Oh Happy Day

Image via The Knot / Shoes by Christian Louboutin

I loved me some sparkles. Which is weird because I was so turned off by wedding dress bling. I tried on a bunch of sparkly shoes at DSW and didn't like how any of them looked on me. I realized my affinity for sparkly shoes might be similar to my 2009 obsession with damask. Then I decided I wanted a pair of open-toe heels with a bow on top, because my most flattering pair of heels looks like that. So I did some innanet research and came up with a bunch of cute shoes to pin. I ordered 4 pairs from Zappos the other day (free shipping pwns everything) and they arrived a few days later! Ready for some gratuituous shoe pr0n?

First, the box. I felt like a real Weddingbee blogger when I restrained myself from busting into it until I could wrangle my camera. Well, I did bust into it a tiny bit.

Personal pic
Pair 1: RSVP Raina
Image via Zappos

These shoes were my favorites based on their online pics, and I was starting to lean toward hot pink shoes after seeing Mrs. Turtle's hawt shoez. Plus, I could inject a tiny bit of pink into my wedding, which I had originally wanted. And here they are IRL, and with feet in them:

Personal pic

Personal pic 

Personal pic 

Personal pic

The pic from Zappos actually shows the true color the best...and I HEART IT. They looked the best on, and they were everything I wanted in a wedding shoe. The only problem is that they were too big, so I couldn't walk in them without them slipping off. I ordered a half size up because I was paranoid, and, well, that was dumb. I'm worried about them being uncomfortable too.

Pair 2: Nina Forbes
Image via Zappos

This color bored me, and it wasn't right for a summer wedding. The shoes in general bored me all around, and I could barely squeeze my feetsies into them. Next.

Personal pic
 Personal pic
Pair 3: RSVP Brylee
Image via Zappos
These shoes looked promising, and if I liked them I was planning on ordering them elsewhere in a different color. (I used Zappos because of the free shipping and return shipping, remember?) But unfortunately, I wasn't sold on them. They were also a little boring, and they showed an odd amount of toe. TMT (too much toe) is not what I'm going for on my special day.
Personal pic

  
Personal pic 

Personal pic  


Pair 4: Nina Electra
Image via Zappos
Sexay! I love love loved these shoes! They were shockingly the most comfortable of the 4, and they were yellow, so I could match the wedding (I've already told you how hard it was to find yellow shoes before). The only problem is that the sides of my feet spilled over the soles like some sort of gelatinous foot muffin top (I guess maybe you can't have that last cookie after all?). Perhaps I have a thus-undiagnosed wide foot?

Personal pic

Personal pic  
They even came with their own feet.
Personal pic  

Personal pic  
Another Myspace mirror shot 

So, I've got some life or death decisions to make here. Should I order the Raina in half a size down and get the color I love in exchange for comfort? Should I stick with the muffin top-inducing Electra and have my shoes match my wedding? Or should I keep looking because there are plenty of other shoes in the sea?

Make my shoe decision for me:
A: RSVP Raina in pink
B: Nina Electra in Yellow
C: Keep looking
D: Reconsider one of the other 2 pairs.

1 comment:

  1. Love Love Love the yellow shoes with the ankle strap!!!!

    ReplyDelete