Thursday, November 10, 2011

Put Your Dukes/Paws Up

Before I was engaged, I heard time and time again that brides and grooms get in tons of arguments during the wedding planning. Apparently you're supposed to plan "wedding free" date nights where you're not allowed to mention the wedding (uh, not even once...?) and give your guy a free pass to not give a damn about wedding planning because, after all, it's your day. It's your special day.
Image via Etsy
I think I need this so I can remind people what friggin day it friggin is.

I figured Mr. Unicycle and I would end up fighting about this eventually, since we fight about pretty much everything, but I really couldn't visualize what these fights would sound like. How could people argue about wonderful things like poofy dresses and cake flavors? Would he put up his dukes when I suggested something outlandish like lavender flavored cake? Would I slap him around when he insisted on red velvet?


I get that men generally don't care about weddings, at least not the petty details like what kind of flowers to use in the centerpieces or whether to wear a veil or a fascinator. And I admit that I do love pretty much everything about weddings (duh, I'm blogging on Weddingbee). I even understand that with Mr. Unicycle being in his second year of med school, he really isn't available to help me plan, whether he wanted to or not. So really I should just plan this wedding by my lonesome and smile the whole time, right?

Personal photo
I effing love weddings. So much.

Uh, except there are a ton of things that I need Mr. Unicycle's help with. I mean literally: I need his help tracking down his friends' addresses, building PVC frames for our fauxtobooth backdrop, booking vendors, deciding on invitation wording...the list could go on and on. I feel the need to consult with him before I spend a massive amount of money too, not because I need his permission, but I guess because I need someone to assure me that I'm not being ridiculous and impulsive. (I almost just bought a pair of wedding shoes for $100 on a whim, even though I have barely even started looking. Somebody stop me.)
Image via Zappos
These aren't them. These are even better, even more expensive shoes.

And then there's this little thing called the bane of my existence--I mean, the "to do" timeline. I made a list of tasks that need to be accomplished before the wedding day and assigned each of them arbitrarily to a different month. Every month passes with a few tasks left undone, and it drives me nuts. Like, actually freaking nuts.

Personal pic
Really freaking nuts.

So nuts, in fact, that I've started yelling at Mr. Unicycle about all the things he hasn't done yet, even though he doesn't even know what I'm talking about half the time. (You should have been there for the "what the hell are Moo cards?!" conversation.)
This is what Moo cards are.

So yes, Mr. Unicycle and I have been fighting about the wedding, which means we're normal. We're not boxing each other over cake flavors yet, but then again, we haven't met with the caterer yet either. So I suppose it's time to implement a wedding-free day every week, eh? How will I ever stop thinking about my G.D. timeline for an entire day?

Do you think wedding usually cause a lot of fights? Am I being a bridezeeela or just neurotic?

No comments:

Post a Comment