Friday, May 25, 2012

Sweating the Small Stuff

We asked our wedding guests for a bit of wedding day advice on our RSVP cards. We didn't want to ask for marriage advice because we'd be getting plenty of that in our guest book. So far we've gotten a few funny ones:

My grandma is glad I'm marrying a future doctor. It's the most I can contribute to the family, having been an English major.

At least one of my guests will be sorely disappointed.


Great advice! At least fake it!


I don't think shots are even included in our bar package. Nor am I capable of consuming 10.



But I noticed there's a bit of a theme going on with the rest. A lot of people told us to enjoy the day or didn't write anything at all, but many people have cautioned us against stress.


I am now worrying about excessive perspiration with all those layers of tulle. I'm sweating just thinking about it:

I'm guessing "don't sweat the small stuff" is just one of those platitudes people pull out when asked for advice, but still, I can't help but imagine this is directed specifically at me because I'm a generally stressed-out drama queen. I'm trying to keep this advice in mind every day, but to be honest, it's not helping. At all.

All I do is worry about the wedding details. For the past year or so, I've been a slave to my wedding to do list, and now that it's almost all done, I've become a slave to the logistical planning. For instance:
  • How will we make sure our overnight bags make it to our wedding night hotel room? 
  • What happens if the venue forgets to put our cake cutting knife on the cake table? 
  • Where do we go after we enter the reception to our jazzy entrance song? 
  • How do we transition from exiting the church amid cheering and wolf whistles to wrangling family members for photos on the church steps? 
  • How will we ever get all of our wedding stuff (centerpieces, candy buffet glassware, table numbers, etc.) to and from the venue without renting a U-Haul? 
  • What do we do if our photobooth backdrop is too big for the reception space? 
Personal pic
This is a dramatic re-enactment of me sweating the small stuff.

I'm confident that my wedding will be beautiful and wonderful and I'll be married to Mr. Unicycle at the end of it, which is all I really want anyway, but I still have these worries running through my head constantly. My plan is to reread this post some time in July and laugh heartily at what a psycho I sounded like. But right  now, I'm too stressed out to laugh heartily.

So tell me: What are you most worried about for your wedding day? What's the best wedding advice you've gotten?

No comments:

Post a Comment