Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Adventures in Pinup Swimwear

It's no secret that I love retro style. My bachelorette party was pinup themed, by wedding will have a bit of retro flair to it, and my wedding dress and hairstyle will be retro-inspired. I just can't get enough of polka dots, classic silhouettes, and retro glamour. When Mr. Unicycle and I booked our honeymoon in sunny Punta Cana, I realized I should probably buy a new swimsuit. I only own one swimsuit because I hate going swimsuit shopping, but I wanted to bring at least 2 with me, in case one was still wet when I wanted to go swimming again.

Since I 1) love retro style and 2) have some junk in da trunk, I figured a pinup style swimsuit would be the best bet. The only problem? I'm a cheapskate. For some reason, women's swimsuits, especially retro ones, are really expensive. I'm used to buying cheap ones at Target and Old Navy, but they never make me feel very good about my bod. I started at Mod Cloth, but I couldn't justify the $90 price tag:

Image via Mod Cloth

Then I found Unique Vintage and Pinup Girl Clothing, but both were sadly still out of my price range.

Image via Unique Vintage


I almost splurged on this adorable bikini I found on Etsy, but Mr. Unicycle talked me out of it :(


When I saw this bikini on Target's website, I thought I'd hit the jackpot. Then I realized it wasn't for sale...anywhere. One of my BMs works for Target Corporate, and even she couldn't help me out.

Image via Target

At this point, I was feeling down in the dumps, thinking I'd have to forgo my dreams of frolicking on the beaches of Punta Cana in a polka dotted number. But then I came across Beverly Swimwear. These have to be the most inexpensive retro swimsuits on the entire internet.

Image via Beverly Swimwear
Mr. Unicycle thought the cutout was weird on this one, but I thought it was cute!

Image via Beverly Swimwear
I don't like the green color of this, but I love the shape.

And so, hive, I ended up ordering one. That's right, the girl who hates trying on swimsuits and has tried on 50 swimsuits in a single day without buying anything, bought one off the internet without trying it on. I did the same thing with my wedding dress too. I must be nuts.

I ended up ordering the green one pictured above, but I chose a different fabric. Beverly has a list of different fabrics you can choose from, and I chose the red and white polka dots:

Image via Beverly Swimwear

It took a while for the swimsuit to get to my house (good thing I ordered it with months to spare!) but it was worth the wait! Check it out:
Personal pic
I feel weird posting swimsuit pics of myself on the internet, so I removed my face to protect the innocent.

Personal pic
It's extremely hard to photograph your own ass.

Personal pic
Ahh, there we go.

Personal pic
No, I am not with child. I am with sandwich.

Here's where I need your help! I would like to buy a bikini (like the Target one shown above, not a skimpy one!) but I'm still on a budget! Does anyone know where I can get a pinup-ish bikini for under $50? I'll love you forever...

1 comment:

  1. i'm commenting on the wrong post - but your hair/makeup trial was awesome!


    just wanted to let you know that old navy has some cute mix & match bathing suits that have a retro feel - http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=5402

    and it's old navy, so it's affordable. no, i don't work for them :)

    ReplyDelete