Friday, May 11, 2012

Signed, Sewn, Pleated

A few weeks ago I thought I hit my crafting limit (I have been doing quite a bit lately, I'll admit) and the thought of designing and executing an idea for programs made me downright irritable. How the hell do so many brides (and by "brides" I mean "Martha Stewart") come up with such cute program ideas, when clearly these get done at the end of your wedding planning journey, when your crafting patience level is about zero?

Even these looked like too much work to me. Also boring.

So I spent about 10 minutes scouring pinterest and my old pal Google to find wedding programs that were simultaneously the cutest/most inventive thing I've ever seen and the quickest/easiest wedding project of all time. I ended up stumbling upon something in my own pinterest account, which I'd pinned back in the day (which was a Wednesday):

Image via Fun.kyti.me

And that's how I ended up sewing 200 programs together with pleated crepe paper, friends. First, I designed the programs in MS Word. I decided to keep it simple and print these on 8.5 x 11" paper, then cut then in half widthwise, so I set my template to two columns in landscape mode. The first column is our cover, which has our names (swiped right off the invitations my BM Barbara designed for us), wedding date, and location. The second column is our ceremony info, swiped from Miss Turkey (you're a lifesaver, Turkey!). 


I also swiped the idea to add little yellow hearts from Mrs. Pin Cushion, who happened to recap about her programs recently. The next column lists our bridal party. I'm not going to show it to you because it would just be a big blurry mess once I edited it to protect the innocents. The fourth and final column was our thank you page:


After I designed the bastards and proofread them a few times, I printed them at home and had my FMIL help me cut them all in half and collate them for me (I'm going to miss all the free labor after the wedding's over!). For each program we cut a 14 inch strip of yellow crepe paper, and got to work sewing.


First I folded the strip under a bit, then sewed a few stitches, backstitched, pleated, and sewed until the end, when I backstitched again for security.



Then I cut little notches in the end to make them festive. This is mere seconds from when I cut my own finger with the scissors. Then I got salad dressing in the wound. It burns.


Et voila/wah-lah!



If my crafting skills were as good as my photo skills are bad, I would be Martha Stewart. But here they are, all sewn together!

At what point did you hit your "no more wedding projects!!!" phase? Did you get your second wind like me?

No comments:

Post a Comment