Sunday, February 5, 2012

Traditions (Traditions!)

Ever since I saw Fiddler on the Roof, I can't hear the word "traditions" without singing it. Twice. Traditions are important to me. My family always laughs at me for wanting Christmas to be the exact same every year. I like to do the same thing year after year for all holidays, in fact. Also birthdays, vacations, visits with friends, and other yearly occurrences must be the exact same every year or else I feel anxious. There is definitely something comforting in knowing what to expect year after year.


Now that I'm getting married, I realize that a lot of my family traditions are going to be different. I'm not going to spend every holiday with my family, and the ones that I do spend with them will include Mr. Unicycle too. I'll wake up with Mr. Unicycle on Christmas morning, I'll go on vacations with his family, and I'll have the happy birthday song sung to me by people I'd never met a few years ago. I'll be living in a different state, hanging out with different friends, and spending my free time differently.

As I've gotten older, I've started clinging less to old traditions, and I've become more open to creating new traditions. I absolutely love the idea of incorporating Mr. Unicycle and his family in my yearly traditions, and I'm so excited to start new traditions after I'm married. This post on A Beautiful Mess really inspired me to be more proactive on creating new traditions for me and Mr. Unicycle. The post talks about how the blogger and her husband planned new traditions while they were on their honeymoon. What a great way to spend your honeymoon, thinking about your future as husband and wife!

This is us planning our new traditions on our honeymoon. It's not an ad for erectile dysfunction.


Mr. Unicycle and I already have several traditions:

Every Christmas we exchange ornaments. So far I've given him a camera ornament, a hand painted ornament with our names on it, an Angry Birds plushie ornament that I made, and a lumberjack lego ornament because he looks like a lumberjack. Here's what the Angry Birds ornament looked like, sort of:

This is much better than how mine ended up looking.

Sunday night is homemade pizza night! We don't do this anymore since we're currently in a short distance relationship, but in college we used to make a homemade pizza every Sunday night. I'd make the crust and he'd make the sauce and bake it. This tradition wasn't very good for my waistline, but I'd love to start a new weekly dinner tradition when we're married, preferably with a healthier meal.

Image via Lou Malnati's
Our pizzas also didn't look this good.

Hockey and country music night every January. Last weekend we went to "country music night" with the Milwaukee Admirals for the 3rd year. You get to watch a hockey game followed by a country concert. What more could I ask for? So far we've seen Dierks Bentley, Blake Shelton, and Phil Vassar after Admirals games.

Image (of Dierks Bentley!) via Milwaukee Admirals

Ethnic restaurants on Valentine's Day. I'm not sure how this started, but we've always gone to ethnic restaurants for Valentine's Day. So far we've done German, Thai, Ethiopian, Italian, and French. We probably won't see each other for Valentine's Day this year, but I'm excited to continue the tradition when we're married.

Ethiopian was by far the most exotic fare. You have to scoop up the food with pieces of spongey bread instead of silverware!

The Jingle Bus at Christmas time. The Jingle Bus is a coach bus that takes you on a tour of downtown Milwaukee's Christmas lights and decorations. It costs a dollar and includes a free cookie and cup of hot chocolate. The tour guide's Wisconsin accent is free with every tour! We've gone on the Jingle Bus for the past 6 Christmases (this year I even wore antlers for the occasion). It's kind of a tongue-in-cheek tradition because the Jingle Bus is awesomely bad, but for only a dollar, it's pretty cheap entertainment.

Personal pic
Sadly there's no photographic evidence of me wearing antlers, but here are the Unicycles next to a pair of antlers. Yes, I'm flashing my gang sign of choice, the right hand rule. Ironically with my left hand.


Do you and your SO have any cool traditions? What should Mr. Unicycle and I add to our repertoire?

No comments:

Post a Comment