Monday, February 20, 2012

This Post is About Bridesmaid Dresses

My MOH/former college roommate visited me this weekend and we did a bunch of girly, wedding-related frivolity. First we had conveyor belt sushi and tackled a Martha Stewart paper flower tutorial while we watched Lifetime movies and drank Franzia. Basically, it was my ideal night. I'll share more about the flowers later!

On Saturday, we went out in search of bridesmaid dresses along with another one of my bridesmaids. I haven't written about bridesmaid dresses yet, so lest you think I really am letting The Knot's wedding timeline get the best of me, I would like to tell you that I've been searching for bridesmaids dresses since last summer. I decided I wanted the girls to wear yellow dresses, and after google image searching/pinteresting the hell out of yellow dresses, I came to the decision that they could all be mismatched and just find their own dresses. I was at my wits end and was about ready to force this upon them:
Image via eBay

You know I like to complain, so I'll give you some more back story later about why I was at my wits end. But back to the story. The three of us hit up good ol' David's Bridal first, sans appointment (gasp--who the F*%$# do we think we are??). David's carries a color called Sunbeam that I thought was good enough for my color scheme.

Image via David's Bridal
It's heading into goldenrod territory in this photo, but it's all yellow IRL.

Although I could write an entire post rhapsodizing about David's Bridal's numerous offenses, I will say this: their color system is extremely simple and easy to understand. They have a set of 21 colors and a set of 44 colors. Each dress comes in either 21 or 44 colors. Sunbeam, for example, is one of the 44 colors, so any dresses that only come in 21 colors do not come in Sunbeam. Any dresses that come in all 44 colors do come in Sunbeam. They even hang a large, handy-dandy chart on the wall for you to scrutinize.

They didn't have samples of every dress in every size and every color of course, so they each tried on a few in other colors. Cue up-tempo pop song, please; there's a fashion montage comin' atcha:

All personal pics
They both tried on the same dress to start. I wasn't crazy about it, and I don't think they were either.

We all really liked this one.

We all really liked this one too.

This dress was okay. I mean, they both look good in everything they try on, so I had to be more discerning about what I considered good. And this would be a good time to assure you that I wasn't going to "allow" them or not allow them to buy certain dresses. I was merely there for the fun of it.

These were okay too, I suppose. 

At the end of the appointment we were feeling pretty good. A little claustrophobic maybe, given how crowded that joint can get on a Saturday afternoon, but good nonetheless. We were ready to see what else the world had to offer. The bridal consultant acted like we were supposed to make a decision right then and there. She asked for the girls' email addresses so DB could spam them and then asked me a series of questions that she recorded on her clip board (a clip board that creepily had a record of every DB dress I had tried on and in what sizes), as if getting ready to bulk order. What is it about wedding consultants and not allowing you to shop around? So we got the hell out.

This tale is to be continued! Did you guys have good or bad experiences at David's Bridal? 

No comments:

Post a Comment