Friday, June 8, 2012

My Photobooth Backdrop is Literally Garbage

A while ago, I told you of my ambitions to create a Great Wall of Flowers to use as our photobooth backdrop. Creating this wall of paper flowers has been a goal of mine for several years (I aim high). I'm not sure why, since there is literally no reason to own a wall of paper flowers other than to use as a photobooth backdrop. Nevertheless, this flower wall became one of those wedding things that you just have to have, yet you never actually have, and you still survive. Sorry for getting your hopes up, hive. But there will be no wall o' flowers from me. If you're sad that you're not looking at hot pics of flower walls right now, get a load of Mrs. Moonbeam's wall:


Okay, now back to me. One of the other inspiration photos I shared with you involved hanging random stands of junk from the top of the backdrop frame and calling it a day. This sounded much more doable to me. The inspiration picture looks like this:

Image via Ruche

So I got to work hanging junk from the top of a PVC pipe, and this is what became of my living room as a result:


I originally wanted all the junk to be white because A) it would not be too distracting in the photos (since the people are what you really want to see) and B) monochrome looks so much more profesh. Unfortunately, I had to add some yellow into the mix because A) I had a bunch of yellow junk lying around that would otherwise go unused and B) I was too lazy to make enough white junk to hang along our incredibly long backdrop. I'll try to stop saying "junk" now. 

Note: This is only the top half of backdrop, which is why it looks like it was made for shawties. In reality, it will be more of a square (it's enormous) and the things hanging from it will not pool on the floor.

I started with hanging coffee filter garlands, strips of white fabric, strands of knotted tulle, and fringed streamers. Soon, I realized I didn't have nearly enough supplies to finish this bad boy. That's when I started hanging the yellow mobiles and paint chip garlands. Finally, I enlisted the help of the two moms and made strands of those 3D paper snowflake things.

Image via Betz White

(Side note: What in the hell are those things called? I had a lot of trouble explaining to the moms what I wanted them to help me make.)

I still didn't feel as though the process was quite finished, so in a moment of bridal insanity, I glued Crate & Barrel packing material to the frame. Literally garbage. You can't really see any of it in my pictures, but this girl's wearing a dress made of the stuff, so I guess I'm not the only one to craft with it:

Image via TruStudio Design

To finish it all off, I grabbed an old, white sheet and hung it behind everything else, tying it with ribbon (also taken from Crate & Barrel packaging) every few inches.


This isn't the official reveal post because, let's be honest, it looks like garbage. While we're being honest, it is garbage. But I am confident that, once it's all set up and photographed by a professional, it will look amazing. And that's when I'll do an official reveal of my DIY backdrop. 

What do you think? Crafting with garbage: resourceful, or Miss Unicycle has gone off the deep end?

No comments:

Post a Comment