Sunday, June 10, 2012

Gifts Gifts Gifts Gifts Gifts

(The title is a weak attempt at quoting How the Grinch Stole Christmas.)

When it came time to decide what to gift the bridesmaids with, I started by thinking about what I would personally like to receive as a bridesmaid. Similar to wedding favors, bridesmaid gifts seem kind of pointless to me sometimes, and I couldn't think of a whole hell of a lot that I would be jonesing for if I were a bridesmaid. But I'm not a complete bitch--I still want to get them gifts! After all, this is my way of thanking them for doing my bidding, traveling to my shower/bachelorette party bonanza, and listening to me drone on and on about my friggin special day for over a year. Really I should be giving them salaries.

After thinking for a while (quite the task, at this point), I decided that if I were going to be in someone's wedding, I would love to be beautified for the big day. However, most of my bridesmaids have short hair and are hair control freaks, so I assumed they wouldn't want me to hire hair stylists for them (side note: I thought wrong. All four of them made their own hair appointments). Instead, I decided to throw a manicure party for them the day before the wedding. I admit this was partly selfish of me since I wanted to opportunity to attend a manicure party myself. Since a manicure isn't a tangible gift, I made these little cards for them instead, which I showed you earlier:

Again, the "e" fell off of the dark pink one, but it has since been replaced.

I've been wanting to go to this one fancy salon by my house since I was a little girl, so we're having the manicures done there. I'm not even sure how fancy of a salon it is, since pretty much everything seems fancy to me, but I hope my bridesmaids are equally as unsophisticated.

I was a little worried about not having anything to present them with at the rehearsal dinner, so I also got each of the girls a bottle of wine. I tried to pick something personalized for each girl, but since I am unsophisticated (see previous paragraph) I mostly just judged the wine based on the art on the bottles.

I found these chevron bags in the dollar section at Target, so if you're throwing a chevron wedding, get it grl.

Next up, the groomsmen. I tried to come up with quirky, nontraditional gifts for the guys, but it turned out that Mr. Unicycle already knew what he wanted to give. And since the gifts are from him anyway, I agreed. We ended up getting these gray and white polka dot ties from Etsy seller MeandMatilda:


We also found these cool typewriter key cufflinks on Etsy, and we bought cufflinks in each groomsman's initials:


 We opted for simple gift cards for the parents, and we classed it up by taking a page out of Mole's book:

Yeah, this photo sucks. It started raining as soon as we took this, and Mr. U wanted to get his camera inside. We figured it didn't matter too much since it's just a placeholder anyway. I love how the thought bubble isn't even coming out of his head. FAIL.

I wrapped all the gifts in polka dot wrapping paper and made some yellow bows using the tutorial on How About Orange.
I've run out of space for wedding stuff, so these live on my bookshelf.



What would you like to receive as a gift if you were a bridesmaid, groomsman, or parent? Did you take that into account when you chose your thank you gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment