Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Behind the Candy

Remember a few posts ago when I hung a bunch of decorations from my ceiling and took pictures while my dad watched in dismay, and I said I didn't know what I was actually going to do with any of it? Well, hive, I've figured it out! I was originally thinking of hanging stuff from the ceiling. I thought it would give the venue that wow factor I'd been looking for. The venue was going to charge us $75 to hang things from the ceiling since they have to move ceiling tiles around. At first I was all for it--after all, it is my special friggin day. But then I thought about it: I'm going to pay $75 to hang scraps of paper from the ceiling? Um, no. I'll keep my money.

Instead, I did this:



This, my friends, is the backdrop to my candy buffet! I know I don't need a backdrop for my candy buffet (and I frankly wish I hadn't had to make one since it's was kind of a nightmare), but since I didn't know what I was going to use those pom pom things and paint chip garlands for, I decided to make it. The actual frame was an engineering feat far beyond my skill set. I started by sliding wrapping paper rolls onto paper towel holders that were stood on their side. You know, these things:

Image via Target
Except mine is white plastic and from the dollar section.

I wrapped the wrapping paper tubes in yellow paper, then hung everything from the two poles. It promptly collapsed. My grandma suggested I use a curtain rod across the top to stabilize it. You know, these things:

Image via Plumber Surplus

She actually brought me one to use, and it worked! I'll never doubt my grandma again. To make it sturdy, I attached everything with exorbitant amounts of scotch tape, hot glue, and glue dots. I also wrapped the corners in white ribbon to make it look less...awful.


Photoshoot time! So magestic! So glorious! So artsy crafty!

Note scraps of fabric all over my kitchen floor. Foreshadowing for my next post!  


As a reminder, here is all the candy I'll be providing and here's a mock-up of my candy buffet, although I have since acquired a few more glass containers:
This is actually a terrible mock-up. Why did I think I could get an accurate idea a full year before the actual wedding? Overzealous much?


But what am I going to do with the rest of the junk I made? Namely, this:

Stay tuned to find out!

Would you make a backdrop for your candy buffet? Do you think mine will fall over during the reception? Let's take bets now! And what do you think I used the other garlands for? Any guesses?


No comments:

Post a Comment