Monday, April 2, 2012

Time Enough at Last

The Unicycles like to read. I was the kid leaving the library with a stack of 20 Sweet Valley books in tow when I was in grade school. There were times I had existential meltdowns wherein I realized a book about my life would be unreadable because all I ever did was read. Despite my being the English major of the relationship, Mr. Unicycle is the better read of the two of us. While I go for quantity (see "20 Sweet Valley books," above) he goes for quality. His favorite book is legit by Charles Dickens (Great Expectations, that terrible tome we were all forced to get through when we were 14). He told me the other day that one of the things he's most excited about for the honeymoon is getting all that time to just lie down with a good book. And read.

Image via Wikipedia
"There's time enough at last!"

Neither of us gets very much time to read these days. He doesn't have time because he studies all the damn time. And I just don't do a good enough job making time anymore. Between working, commuting, wedding planning, blogging, working out, sleeping, and talking to Mr. Unicycle on the phone, I don't have much time left over, and what little I do have, I squander away looking at blogs.

Needless to say, we're both looking forward to a little literary filled R&R on the honeymoon. We'll be in Punta Cana for a week (I can't believe I haven't posted about this yet!) at an all-inclusive resort. I've never been on a fancy beach vacation like this, so I'm not sure how much reading time we'll actually have. But I want to be prepared! Here's what I've got so far:

Chick Lit:
Images via Amazon, Amazon, and Amazon again

I love myself a good piece of chick lit. I've been reading Sophie Kinsella since the early days of the Shopaholic series, and I'm not afraid to admit it. I went through Jane Green's complete works a few summers ago before moving onto Emily Giffin. These are the epitome of beach reads and I intend to snag all of them. (Except the new Emily Giffin won't be out in time. Boo.)

Funny Non-Fiction:
Images via Amazon, Amazon, and Amazon.

I've been wanting to read all three of these books for a while now, and I figure there's no time like the honeymoon to have a few laughs, right? Plus, since these are non-fiction books as opposed to novels, I'll be less likely to get sucked into them and ignore Mr. Unicycle. I don't want a book that I'm going to get too into. I read the first Hunger Games book in about 2 days when I really should have been working on my invitations, so I don't want to start the second book until everything calms down. And I really don't want to be ignoring my new husband in favor of a book on our honeymoon.

What else do you suggest I read on the honeymoon? I'd love some suggestions for good beach reads or other books you've read lately that you absolutely loved! Do they make honeymoon themed novels? 

No comments:

Post a Comment