Thursday, December 8, 2011

Retro Wedding Inspiration

I like to think that my wedding will be "retro-inspired." I don't mean vintage, the most oft-overused/misused adjective in the wedding lexicon. I mean retro. When I think of "vintage," I think of faded photographs, artfully aged furniture, and whimsical wild flowers in milk glass. When I think of "retro," I think of beehive hairdo's, polka dot shoes, red lipstick, and poofy skirts. I'm not sure what era I actually like. Believe me when I say history was my worst subject ever--I'd literally rather retake calculus, physics, philosophy, even P.E. than ever take another history class. So I'm not sure if I like the 50s or the 60s, or some combination of the two. I'm not talking poodle skirts or flower power. Maybe mid-century is a good descriptor. Mad Men, Dior's New Look, and Rockabilly/Pin-up styles all intrigue me. Again, I'm not sure if those all took place at the same general time or not. I'm more concerned with applying them to our very 2012 wedding.  Instead of jabbering on, for once I'll just show you a bunch of fun pictures.

Pearls that would make Betty Draper drool

Crepe's photobooth backdrop looked retro to me. And I love it.

Image via Ruffled
Are those miniature waffles under a bell jar??

Image via Ruffled
Retro invitations!

Image via Queens and Bowl
My bridesmaids wish they could look this cool!

Image via Retro to Go
I could wear these adorable shoes!

Image via MyWedding.com
I've featured this bride before. Even though her wedding was Nightmare Before Christmas themed, I'm still obsessed with it!

Image via Ruffled

Image via Ruffled
This may be unashamedly copied by me.

I want her mod lashes.

Image via ModCloth
Another shoe with a giant bow. Can't. Get. Enough.

If money were no object, I too would have an ice cream bar at my reception.

Image via Become Gorgeous
This might be a bit much for a wedding, but it still looks friggin cool.

Image via Ruffled
I just really like this font. And the fringe. And the sparkles. And the polka dots.

Image via Ruffled
I'm not sure I'd want to marry a guy with pants this tight (would he even be able to perform on the wedding night??), but I love everything else.

Image via Yesterday Girl
Adorable rockabilly-inspired 'do.

Image via Retro Weddings
Another amazing hairdo

Image via Design Public
And here are three pics I've already shown you.


Image via Fifties Wedding

Sigh. If money/Mr. Unicycle's opinion/my questionable history skills weren't an issue, I would do a full blown retro theme. I can't wait to pull some of these ideas into my own wedding, but I think I'll save the themes for more dedicated brides like the Nightmare Before Christmas bride!

If you had to pick between "retro" and "vintage" (according to my definitions!) which would you choose? Did/does your wedding have a theme?

No comments:

Post a Comment