Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Time Makes You Bolder, Children Get Older

I'm at the point in wedding planning where I feel like I've lost the ability to make a decision. Every wedding related activity is a series of decisions that I have to either make by myself or interrupt Mr. Unicycle's med school studying to bother him about. I'll probably write a post complaining about this more in depth later, if you're lucky.

One part of the wedding plans that didn't require much effort in deciding was the father/daughter dance. Years ago, my dad and I were driving in the car (probably to Home Depot. He used to trick me into going with him by saying we were going on a fun shopping trip. I fell for it every single time.) and I was making fun of his choice of music. He's a big fan of terrible music from the 70s like The Eagles, America, Chicago, and other bands that took inspiration from geography. When Fleetwood Mac came on, I stopped mid-snark when I realized that I actually kind of liked it.

Personal pic
This is us back when I was cute and he looked like Zorro.

I started requesting The Dance every time we were in the car, on the boat, around the campfire, or any time when I had to choose from his CD collection. My parents got tickets to a Fleetwood Mac concert when I was 14, and they let me and my brother go with. It was one of my favorite concerts ever! I even wrote a paper on the band in my high school freshman English class. A few years ago we went to another Fleetwood Mac concert, just the two of us, and it was possibly even better than the first one.

Photo from Amazon
Stevie Nicks sure can rock that crimped wig.

When I got engaged and started thinking about the father/daughter dance, the first song idea that popped into my head was "Landslide," mostly because, in the live version on The Dance, Stevie Nicks opens the song by saying "This is for you, Daddy." My dad and I always used to say that part along with her. In fact, I memorized most of the talking parts of that album. I listened to it a lot.

So far pretty much everything we're doing for this wedding has been my idea, either because I shoot down everyone else's ideas or because I don't even give anyone else a chance to give their ideas--it's not like the whole world is clamoring to have a say in my wedding anyway. But I figured this one thing should be my dad's decision. So I put my Bridezeeela claws away and asked his opinion.


After thinking for about a second, he said, "How about 'Landslide'?" So I got what I wanted after all, sweet. Here's the song, for the 2 people who aren't familiar:

 

What was your easiest wedding decision?

No comments:

Post a Comment