Tuesday, October 4, 2011

How My Fiance and I Became an Item

We still debate whether our 1st date was really a date. So I fondly refer to it as our 0th date. We went to the late, great Borders and browsed around for a while, then had lunch at Panera Bread (we went Dutch), and then we went back to my place to watch Are You Afraid of the Dark? and--he's gonna kill me for publicizing this--colored in coloring books. We laugh about it all the time now. Apparently he was so smitten with me that he would agree to color a Barbie coloring book just to be spending time with me. Now that you mention it, even I'm embarrassed that we did that.

He went home and we talked on the phone and on AIM (remember that?) every night after that. Finally he asked me on a real date, and I of course called one of my friends frantically to ask if she thought it was a real date. She called him to ask and then reported back to me. I guess the fact that I was only 18 isn't much of an excuse for how unitarded I acted. Maybe it had something to do with the pigtail braids I kept wearing?

Personal pic
See, I wasn't joking!

I remember I wore a brand new pair of jeans and a pink sweater on the date, and I curled my hair before he got to my house. My mom asked if it was a date and I said no. Then she asked if I "liked this boy" and I said, "maybe a little." But in my head I was screaming "I LOVE THIS BOY!"

The date consisted of lunch and a movie. Lunch was at a Noodles & Co. knock-off that's no longer in business, and we saw Children of Men. Halfway through the movie I grabbed his hand (so now I've made the first, second, and third moves, but who's counting?) and I don't remember much else about the movie except that there was a lot of blood and guts.

Fast forward about a month and I'm asking C if we were "going out" officially. He laughed and said "I hope we are." And so we were.

Did you and your SO have a "0th date"? Did you have to ask before you were officially dating?

No comments:

Post a Comment