Sunday, October 2, 2011

How I Met My Better Half

After orientation finished up it was time for college to start! I walked into my physics class on the first day of school (I was even wearing a special first day of school outfit {no, it didn't involve pigtail braids [but the second day of school did]}) and lo and behold, Mr. Unicycle's in my class! The class had about 13 people in it, 4 of whom were girls. My first thought was "these odds are great." To say I have always had a thing for nerdy guys would be an understatement. Being in a room full of physics majors was actually a dream come true for me, believe it or not.

Image source
Hotties...

Mr. Unicycle and I waved at each other that first day but didn't sit together, and we continued to say hello when we ran into each other around campus and in our dorm building. One day in physics class I suggested he study with me some time, since we both lived in the same building and all (when I was a freshman I would basically shun people who didn't live in my building because I was so paranoid about being mugged on my way home at night. It was Milwaukee, after all). So you could say I made the first move (unless you count my Fonzi wink, which you should).

But to be honest I didn't have a crush on him until a few months later. During those months, we studied together all the time. My roommate and future MOH used to tease me and say "I think that Mr. Unicycle guy likes you..." which I denied. We also ate meals together and walked home from class together. I vaguely remember feeling awkward on our long walks home--the physics building was just about as far away from our dorm as possible--and I was kind of uncomfortable talking to a boy to begin with. Plus I was starting to like him like that. I wish I could remember what it was like to be uncomfortable around Mr. Unicycle. I wish I had known that I was walking home with the guy who would one day be my husband. But that probably would have made me feel even more awkward.

Image via Art.com
This is an actual photo of us from back in the day.

When Christmas break rolled around, a bunch of us (including Mr. Unicycle) got together to go downtown and do all kinds of cliché touristy stuff like taking pics of ourselves in the Bean, walking around Marshall Field's, which is to say Macy's, and ice skating in Millennium Park (I totally milked my clumsiness for all it was worth by grabbing Mr. Unicycle's hand the whole time).

Personal pic
And here we are that very day.

On our way home on the L, Mr. Unicycle asked if I wanted to hang out a few days later because he'd be in my neck of the woods. I said yes, then freaked out about whether or not it was a date throughout the whole train ride. We didn't talk again until we got to our stop.

Coming up next: Our 0th and 1st dates!


No comments:

Post a Comment