Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Pre-Wedding Wedding Planning


Let me start out this blog by saying I never used to be wedding obsessed. I never dreamed about my wedding day when I was a kid, I rarely made my Barbies marry Ken (I was too preoccupied letting them drive the convertible to the mall), and I never thought about what my wedding dress would look like until very recently. Now let me follow that up with…an entire blog about my wedding planning process.

 Photo from Glamour.com 
If I had made my Barbies marry Ken, it definitely wouldn't have been as fabulous as their real wedding album from Beatrice de Guigne.
 
When I started dating C I was still pretty new to the whole dating thing. I was 18, a freshman in college, and just excited that a boy was talking to me. Marriage never crossed my mind. And weddings? Forget about it. 

Personal Photo
This is the first photo we ever took "as a couple."

About 6 months into our relationship, marriage did cross my mind. It crossed both of our minds, in fact, but since we were still teenagers with 3 years of college left and we’d only been dating for a semester and change, we obviously weren’t about to start wedding planning. No, not even me.

After we’d been together for a few years and I started picturing our life together more and more, the realization that I’d one day have a wedding dawned on me. I surreptitiously googled “weddings” one day at work, hoping to maybe see a few pictures and read a little bit that would satiate me until my wedding would roll around. 

In case you're curious, here's what came up when I Googled it a minute ago. I'm guessing it looked much different 2 years ago. In fact, these results might be skewed by my browser's cookies. I will never understand the mystery that is Google.

This was right around the time that I started reading blogs regulary and discovered Google Reader. When Google directed me to Weddingbee, I was hooked. I clicked the RSS icon and my life since has been filled with visions of poofy white dresses, multi-tiered cakes, and Martha Stewart poms

So why the fascination with weddings? For me it would have to be partly because of the increasing popularity of DIY projects and crafts at weddings. I’ve always been a crafty person, and I’m now officially a craft editor/blogger (the ol’ day job), so weddings were the next logical obsession for me. But I think the main reason I started following wedding blogs was that I knew I was with the man who would one day be my husband (and incidentally, my groom). For me, putting a face on the so often faceless groom of childhood wedding fantasies was enough to make me wedding obsessed. 

Personal photo

At the risk of sounding frivolous, petty, and overly girly, I present to you an entire blog about my wedding planning journey: the superfluous DIY projects, the heartfelt moments, and the bridezilla meltdowns (yeah right, I’m perfect!).

Did you plan your wedding before you were engaged? What made you excited about weddings?

No comments:

Post a Comment