Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Is It Too Soon to Talk about Hairdos?

I’m not gonna be coy with you guys: I can honestly say that I love my hair. I don’t often admit to liking things about myself. I guess people are less likely to call you a bridezilla if you’re self-deprecating. So before I go on and on about how much I love my hair, I’ll self-deprecate for a few sentences: I look like a 12 year old. I have gaps in my teeth. I’m extremely cheap. And I’m totes awk.

That being said…my hair rocks. No, it rawks. It’s friggin sweet, you guys. Okay, it’s not actually that great. But it just may be in the running for my best feature. Coming in at a close second is, um…nothing. (See, self-deprecation for the win.) I always say there are two hair types: hair that needs to be styled before you leave the house, and hair that doesn’t. Straight haired chicks are always jealous of curly girls and vice versa, but neither of these girls has to do much of anything to their hair between showering and showing their face in public.
Image source
Curls! Purty!
Image source
Straight hair! Sleek!

I, on the other hand, cannot just wash and wear. My hair post-shower looks like a cross between an elderly poodle and someone who’s just been electrocuted. If you know me IRL, you’ll probably be surprised to hear me wax poetic about my hair because I so often lament how much I hate it. But on the plus side, I can curl it or straighten it, and it’ll hold its style until it gets wet. That’s my def of friggin' sweet.

Image source
Look who else has friggin' sweet hair

On top of its ability to hold whatever style I give it, my hair also has a pretty good color. (Translation: I’ve never dyed my hair before. This comes in very handy when playing 10 fingers, let me tell you.) And even more fortunate, my hair is also thick. Every ponytail holder that’s ever had the pleasure of wrapping itself around my luscious locks has snapped in pure terror. Nothing can reign it in! It’s unstoppable!

Image source
This is what appeared when I googled “wild hair” so I went with it.

I’ve loved big hair since I learned how to back comb. And I’ve had some epic hairdos before:

Personal pic

Personal pic
My massive head of hair and my love for larger than life hairstyles go hand in hand. It’s kind of a chicken and egg situation; I wonder if I would gravitate toward dramatic, enormous hairstyles if my hair wasn’t already enormous to begin with. But…it doesn’t really matter. Without further ado (a-hair-do? Get it? It’s a pun. Am I trying too hard?) here is my wedding hairspiration:

Image source
I started out wanting a half updo with curls and lots of volume at the crown, like Carrie Underwood (Mr. Unicycle’s other crush…grrr). I’m not a huge fan of updos on me because I like the way my face looks better when there’s hair around it (my face just can’t hold a candle to the amazingness of my hair).

Or this lovely ‘do.

I’m not sure of the logistics of this hairstyle, but I love absolutely everything about this photo.

Then I saw Miss Pony’s hair trial and inspiration photos, which made me seriously reconsider the self-imposed no updos rule.

Photo by Giao Nyugen / Hair by Giao Nyugen Makeup, Hair and Bridal Accessories / Via Project Wedding
 
Photo by Giao Nyugen / Hair by Giao Nyugen Makeup, Hair and Bridal Accessories / Via Project Wedding
 All I can say is “I want!”

I also collected a bunch of other seemingly random updo photos:

Image source

Image via Ruffled Blog / Photo by Cmostr / Hair by Danielle Design

Image via Bobby Pin Blog

Image via Style Me Pretty / photo by Arrow & Apple / Hair by Holly Neufeld + Sarah Lockhart
Image via Yan Photo / Hair by Versa Artistry

The braid’s not gonna happen on me, but the photo is absolutely amazing. I just want to gaze at that braid and possibly climb up it. It’s so thick and perfectly undone! Unfortunately I don’t think my hair will ever be this long or this thick.

Then I came across these pics of Julianne Moore from the movie A Single Man, which I’d somehow not ever heard of before:

Image via Design Public


All I could think when I saw these photos was This is my wedding hair! I researched pics from the movie for a while before realizing that this might be another one of my hair brained (har de har har) ideas that sounds dramatic and avant-garde to me but ridiculous and tacky to the outside world.

So what do you think of Julianne’s hair? Too costumey? Or just the right amount of volume for me?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment